Place: Wolisso, Region of Oromia, South West Shoa Zone (SWSZ)
Duration: 2018 – 2020
ISF role: technical Partner – lead: Autonomous Province of Trento
The general objective of the initiative is to strengthen the capacities of the local health system in signalling in advance, reducing and managing risks related to communicable diseases and epidemics.
ISF will be in charge of the technical assistance for:
- the analysis of the hospital information system of Wolisso
- the analysis of the information system of the health centers in the concerned regions
- the adaptation of hospital software through the integration of data from health centers involved in the operation in the district and zonal system
- the support in terms of structures and hardware for the data collection in the districts.
1st SurvEthi Project Mission – SCDSCS – [AID011330] – March 28 to April 10:
- Information system analysis. Two surveys were carried out at selected Health Posts and Zonal Offices finding the actual use of current computer data collection tools; St. Luke ‘sentinel’ hospital, instead, it already uses an EMR (OpenHospital) through which data from previous years have been collected and analyzed and on which this project is implanted
- Software proposal. The possibility of equipping peripheral structures with new software tools has been gradually put aside due to the fact that the entire Oromia region (but it happens also at national level) is already undergoing a computerization process through the DHIS2 instrument (already known in East Africa) which does not give space for intervention or interference by the project; however, data exchange channels have been activated for search integration. At the level of St. Luke ‘sentinel’ hospital, specific electronic surveillance folders will be defined in the coming months, then they will be developed and installed. Such folders will implement a real-time data collection useful for Project purposes. It will also be verified, if the set of DHIS2 data exchange channels is sufficiently reliable, to integrate the information coming from the districts on a monthly basis with technological solutions to be subsequently defined.
- Purchase plan. Meetings were held to define the data collection methods for health workers in the field, as consultants for the comparison of hardware and software to be used during the campaign.